1) 1/10 people in America are currently taking an antidepressant (AD)
2) Michael Jackson was reportedly taking Zoloft and Paxil when he died. Antidepressants have been shown to contribute to heart disease.
3) Luvox was being taken by a shooter in the Columbine High School shootings.
5) Effexor’s side effects include vomiting and nausea, while Zoloft is associated with diarrhea
6) Almost all of the new ADs work similarly well (or badly) – the only significant difference is what side effects they have
7) ADs can cause extreme anger in some people, and there are many lawsuits against AD drug companies for resulting violence
8) Prozac is the best recognized AD with the most references to it in music and popular culture
9) Anna Nicole Smith’s son was taking Lexapro when he died
10) Paxil is one of the hardests ADs to quit.
11) ADs can be extremely hard to quit. Withdrawal, which is a very common problem, can involve “brain zaps” and general horrible feelings.
12) Some antidepressants work only 50% of the time. Placebo? That works about 30%. Big difference?
13) Remeron has been linked to immune system failure
14) Antidepressants can cause suicidal thinking in children and perhaps adults
15) Celexa is used in autistic children who have OCD-like behavior, but it doesn’t seem to help
16) Antidepressants can possibly cause birth defects
17) Tricylcic antidepressants are poisonous and can be deadly if an overdose happens
18) The SSRIs (including Zoloft and Prozac) cause sexual dysfunction in most people who take them
19) Kids as young as two have been put on antidepressants
20) Wellbutrin very often causes extreme anxiety and can rarely make the taker lose touch with reality
21) Bonus: Women who take antidepressants are at a 45% increase risk of having a stroke.
You might like:
What did you think about this post?